Service to mankind is service to God

Most of us have been living formula-based lives maybe due to sheer ignorance, due to the the predictability of the formula or maybe it's the easy way out. By formula-based life I mean....go to school..get good marks to get into college...study hard to crack some entrance to get into some proper grad school....excel in grad school to get a well paying job. So in the end it's all about the money. We get educated to get a degree that gets us a dishy job. Commercialization of education is at the top of its game. The schools are more about having multi cuisine food courts, horse riding instead of the quality of learning. We should study to learn new things, new concepts, new theories which helps us understand the world around us. But instead it's rote learning that everyone of us focuses on. 
So coming back to the formula based life (yes I have a bad habit of getting carried away..my bad), i wish the formula just ended with grad school but sadly it doesn't. After grad school, it's post graduation to double that pay package, then the inevitable M word (read marriage), then the intolerable K word (read kids..and boy they talk or what...the new generation is getting more wild, more ungrateful and more indisciplined...yes i hate them all..but that's another blog altogether :P ), putting them through the same formula by which we have led our lives thereby making it a vicious cycle altogether..!! So all our life ends up getting caught up in the social obligations and responsibilities. There's no time left to think out of the box and make something useful of the lives God has given us. I mean we are all here for a purpose right. If we are so caught up in our own lives, when do we get the time to do something substantial with our lives..??
I am no different. I am also leading a cliched life. School > College > Engineering > TCS. I had thought that the shortest way to 20k is engineering and that is the sole reason why I opted for it. But this is not what makes me happy or I want to do. I want to see the world (like a zillion others), I want to making singing my profession, I don't like the idea of dog eat dog world...the world was never supposed to function that way so there's no way I can survive in that kind of a world, i want to learn how to play the drums, I want to get into a proper music school and study music etc etc.  By saying all this I am being very vain and making myself the epicenter of my whims and fancies cuz up until today this was the idea of a non cliched life I had in my mind.

But today I saw two things on TV. Amazing Indians on Times Now and Real Heroes on CNN IBN. I was always keen on giving back to the society and I have ideas but I wasn't quite sure how I'll execute them. Moreover I was so delusional about my to-do list that I conveniently had forgotten all about the 'giving back to the society' part. The people that featured on TV have given up their own selfish motives to help so many around them. It was awe inspiring to say the least. Be it Binalaxmi Nepram and her interest free loans to the women of Manipur or Ajeet Singh rescuing minor girls who were being trafficked in the holy city of Varanasi or Faith Gonsalves and her music basti or Rajesh Bhat Subraya training villagers to become BPO executives..the list goes on and on. Every story is an inspiration. Every story shows that the ratio of the needy people to the helping hands in India is still huge and helping bridge that gap should feature on everyones to-do list.

We are born privileged to help the under privileged. India is truly a diverse country where the a Cabinet minister has assets worth 263 crores yet 55% of India's population is still poor..!! If the money gets accumulated in secret Swiss accounts, how will the economy boost ever happen..??!!
Corruption is rampant...corruption has been over hyped so I won't even get into that territory. 

We all will be dealing with our own set of pre mid-life, mid-life, post mid-life crisis etc but that should not daunt us from doing a selfless deed once a while. But again to each his/her own.

Mere ramblings...no apologies :P

4 Responses to Service to mankind is service to God

  1. sangita says:

    I love this.Every one in this world have some purpose,but some people realize it.

  2. Anonymous says:

    Too common..talking about the same old stuff. Drifted from the topic midway...
    Try writing some dark stuff or something new...Would love to see new perspective.

    P.S-Writing is good though.Just need a theme and structure.

  3. Nishita says:

    @Anonymous Yes it's not something new but it's definitely something that constantly bothers me. I don't think you read the my blog title. It's not called 'Late Night Ramblings' for nothing..!!! it's mere ramblings :)
    @Bada Mausi yes. So true.

  4. Anonymous says:

    As someone mentioned...nuthing new n i ditto that ....also yes , everyone at some point of their life thinks this way... but what matters is whether you are really able to give back anything to the society.....so all the best ....at least u took d first step by thinking about it...I havent :P

Leave a Reply